Monday, February 1, 2010

Feeling like listening to something different?

I always like to put my ipod on shuffle of all songs and all artists so that you never actually know what your going to get when you turn it on. It's like a little surprise at every song that starts and I have a lot of songs.

When you hear the words "flamenco" what do you think of? I don't normally listen to flamenco but on this occasion it played on the ipod so I listened to it. I find it very interesting how quickly music can lift your spirits. I decided for the day to listen to the Gypsy Kings to see how it affected my mood. With the music being so upbeat I found it hard to lose that overall good mood, not that I tried too hard! I thought I would then try to see how easy it was to pick up playing this music on the drums. Some things are easier than they seem. The beats were fine to pick up but it totally relies on the feel / rhythm to make these songs what they are and that was the hard part.To feel the rhythm and get into that groove it takes more than a quick listen. You really need to immerse yourself in that rhythm if you want to do it really well.
It still amazes me how some things sound and look so easy until you actually go to mimic that style. These guys are truly amazing musicians in everything that they deliver, and they do it with such class. You don't have to like the style of music but rather just appreciate it for what it is.
Take today to listen to something new, live on the edge, how did it make you feel?
Stay tuned or go phlat ........

No comments:

Post a Comment