Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Playing the song or looking cool - Can you have both?

It has always stumped me to watch any drummer play live and see them spinning sticks and throwing them in the air. All that is missing is the triple back flip over his kit and they are golden, however what happened to the song? Showmanship is not what impresses me, it is how the drummer plays the song. I almost wonder if some of these drummers listen to the tune then figure out where to spin their sticks. Screw learning the tune properly, I just want to look cool. right?
The way I look at it and everyone has their own opinion but if you cannot play the song properly, why bother trying to add show to it. That just shows that you spent more time learning how to spin sticks in parts of the song than actually learning the damn song. I seen this clip from Thomas Lang who said it perfectly. If you are adding show to your playing, it has to be fun and when you throw a stick or spin it, it has to be in time. That is really important. That way your actual playing does not suffer and you can look really cool while playing and keeping time. Thomas Lang stick trix video. I will be starting to make some of my own vids soon to show you some of what I have been talking about.
Anyway sorry for the short post. I will post more stuff soon.
Stay tuned or go phlat ........

No comments:

Post a Comment